And play the mother’s part, kiss me, be kind;
So will I pray that thou mayst prove me.
Weary with toil, I haste me thence?
Till I return, of posting is no remedy,
It is the time with thoughts of love as oft as thou shalt find
Those children nursed, deliver’d from thy heart,
And take thou my love shall in these black lines be seen,
And they shall live, and he stole that word
From thy behaviour; beauty doth he give,
And found such fair assistance in my will no fair acceptance shine?
The sea, all water, yet receives rain still,
And then thou hast her it is built anew,
Grows fairer than at first, more strong, greater.
Number of key tuples: 14916
Mean Choices: 1.174175
Min Choices: 1
Max Choices: 27
Sum of Squares: 13581.492357
Standard Deviation: 116.539660
I have had a vague “todo” in my head for a while to do something with Markov text generation. One of the things that I look forward to when I scan through my spam folders is finding interesting text that was obviously generated. I was lazily browsing through some of my news feeds and following links when I came across this post titled Markov and You by Jeff Atwood. I especially liked the Garkov reference he used to illustrate the usage. I decided I would try to do something similar and found a basic markov implementation in python at this Usware blog post.
After playing with the ”quick brown fox” implementation and pulling in some CNN articles I decided to do something a bit more interesting and downloaded Shakespeare’s Sonnets from Project Gutenberg.
I modified my generator implementation to have output based on the number of lines emitted, and added a reseed function to select a new start tuple in the event that no keys matched my existing search tuple. Finally, I added some simple output statistics to get a feel for how the constructed database looked when I tweaked the chain length parameter. Having shorter chain lengths tended to make the text too random, while longer ones pulled in too much of an existing sonnet sequence. Watching the number of key tuples and the summary statistics of the choices helped me tune the code for this corpus.
The code is available here.
We have done some Prolog in my programming languages class recently, so I’ve been doing some additional reading this weekend for kicks. I actually have some background in rule-based system, primarily using Jess (look for my name in the credits of Jess In Action, I submitted a few bug reports/fixes so got to see my name in print ha).
I spent a little bit of time this weekend looking at using Gephi for visualizing graphs and networks. I heard about Gephi from this post on the dataists web site.
I found an interesting post this morning talking about using Pidgin on Fedora Core to communicate with a MS Communicator server. I was able to follow the instructions from Louis van der Merwe to get this working on 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04.
First I downloaded the Pidgin client plugin sourceball from the SIPE Project, and started running
configure --prefix=/usr to identify missing libraries. I installed the missing dependencies using
sudo apt-get install intltool libpurple comerr-dev, other systems may require more or less. After configuring, making, and installing the plugin I fired up Pidgin.
The only modification I had to make to the configuration instructions was to use
SSL instead of
TCP for communications as we use a certificate at my workplace.
Although contacts and groups were pulled in successfully, my presence notification doesn’t seem to work (I show up as offline). However, this is good enough for me right now and I’m really happy to be able to access the corporate communication channel in my primary development environment.
*Updated to 1.6.3*
Presence notification seems to be working now, thank you SIPE team!
Posted in Uncategorized
I wrote this during lunch to kill some time before a conference call. I liked the effect on the Moiré Pattern page and thought I would replicate a variation of it.
This is one of the first Processing projects I wrote a few months ago while I was waiting on a large database download and import. Requires a working Java plugin in your browser.
I was helping our IT guys out this past weekend configuring a reverse proxy load balancing environment for JBoss/Tomcat behind Apache. I kept running into problems where requests coming from Apache looked like:
GET /foo//bar instead of
I recently worked on configuring and enabling Ehcache with our Hibernate objects for common domain objects we query on almost every page request. I was interested in whether this would improve performance, and how best to illustrate the effect of the pages across threads and actions.
Posted in Uncategorized
I was working on profiling some code today and wanted to obtain some summary statistics by groups with two factors. The original source was a log4j file that included entries from an aspect based logger I had enabled. I had already written a small perl script to extract the pertinent information and generate a CSV file with (clazz,method,elapsed) entries, so I was looking for some standard statistics like mean, median, etc. based on clazz+method combinations.
Posted in Uncategorized
I realized it should be pretty easy to use the approach as the previous R map I generated to make a smaller scale map at a country level. In this example I’m setting up an initial non-plotted map with limits on the X and Y ranges I want to display. Next I assign colors to the observations of this subset map, plot these filled areas, then plot all boundaries.